Tuesday, November 23, 2010

just a thought...

i'm at the front of the long row of traffic all waiting for the light to turn green. engines revving, impatience contorting the face of every driver. they all have places to go and people to see and this blasted red light is keeping them from it all.
imagination kicks in.
i drum my fingers on the gear shifter in what is now my 1970 stingray corvette. my getaway car. the people around me are no longer fellow citizens but cops with a radar that has zeroed in on me. green eyes turn gray. the light turns green. i throw the engine into gear and speed ahead, weaving in and out of any traffic in my way, knowing that if they catch up to me its all over. i imagine lights and radios, and helicopters beating overhead. they all are after a menace on the loose and if they catch me its prison for sure.
i make it safely to my destination and my car turns back into a cobalt, everyone else turns back into regular strangers on their individual quests in life, and i am no longer a wanted criminal.
but what a cheap thrill!
but why?

there's something about rebellion that feels powerful and drug-like.

the darker side of me sometimes emerges wearing a microscopic black leather cat-woman-esque suit, bringing with it a lust for wreaking havoc.
imagining i'm someone that other people fearfully move out of the way for when they see me coming because they can sense that the path i'm walking leaves a wake of broken hearts and destruction.
just a powerful glance can make people come or go and bend at my will.
made up of lips that poison and curves that kill.
no pleasure is out of bounds.
i don't care who gets in the way.
they don't stand any other chance but to lay in ruin at my feet...

then i snap out of it and praise God that i don't live there anymore! i take off the faded suit and re-robe myself in modesty and humility.
sometimes the seductive advances of the world are magnetic and appeal to the parts of me that have tasted it.

could it be that maybe this was part of God's human design? the draw to do things out of character and to rebel against the world exists in everyone i've ever talked to. but it often has a negative stigma attached to it because we often rebel the wrong way. what if we took the seduction out of it and saw it as a call to be holy? a call to do things out of OUR character and in CHRISTS character. to rebel against the new religion of non-religion. to be outrageously counter-cultural and walk in the power of the Spirit instead of our own. there is no pleasure that satisfies more and no drug that could duplicate the effects. if we see it as a call to holy rebellion and not an opportunity to gratify the flesh while creating a crumbling throne to self then it takes a dying to self. two completely opposite directions.
if we could, in the midst of seduction, see an opportunity to flip it in the opposite direction and turn it into a kingdom-furthering behaviour how pissed would satan be? the plucking at the strings of our selfishness is among his most commonly used weapons in his arsenal. and with a change of perspective we could render it useless!
anyway.. like i said.. its just a thought.

2 comments:

psychdude said...

I love it. Reckless abandon to a God that is good. Drive fast!

Caits said...

thanks! :) its fun to use this as a canvas for thoughts. more to come soon i hope