Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I'M HERE!!!

So i am DEFINATELY in china!! i can't believe it! the flight was sooooooooo long... at least it's cured my fear of flying.. well for now anyway. when we were landing in beijing the air pollutionm was so thick you could smell it through the plane, and you couldn't see anything out of the plane window until you were a foot off the ground. so.. as you can imagine.. the smell here is something all in itself. so many unfamiliar smells, and every meter you walk you smell somethign different. i'll have to get used to that... there are so many differences i don't even know where to start! when i got here i was met at the airport by Ji Hye... (my boss's daughter, AND my new room mate) she's my age and she's so great! she met me with a huge sign that said HELLO CAITLIN WELCOME TO CHINA! it was so cool! and then we took a VERY rocky flight for an hour from beijing to weihai. i LOVE weihai. so far... i haven't seen too much of it yet. there's over a million people here and it's considered a "small town." whatever! the ocean is gorgeous! our apartment is gorgeous! i love my boss and her family. they have completely taken me under their wing and made me feel like i'm a part of their family. jenny (my boss) calls me her little baby. they are SUCH a huge blessing! when we got to our apartment, they right away made my bed for me with blankets she had bought. and they bought me some toiletries for the bathroom like toothpaste and a tooth brush and soap and towels. it was so nice! and she has me over for lunch every day and let;s me use her computer. they are so incredibly accomodating. last night i got to go to the school and meet some of my students! they are SO cute! and i got to do a little bit of teaching ot just get a feel for it. it's great! i'm so excited to be teaching here! the school is really small.. there's three full time teachers, and i'm the only female. but it's great. jenny is amazing. yesterday i bought a cell phone... i have to register it first before i can call home, or be called, but i'm doing that today. i have a chinese name! i have no clue how to write it in characters but it sounds like "Tur Lin." so that's kinda cool. i haven't been able to slow down long enough to be effected by cultural differences. my chopstick skills are improving! haha. well ... that's all for now..!!! bye!

No comments: